Exfoliation is a process of removing dead skin cells from the surface of your skin so that the new and fresh cells come to the top. It can also clear the oil and dirt out of your pores, this makes them unclogged.
When the dead skin cells are left untreated, they build up and results in more unwanted situations like dry skin or acne etc.
Exfoliation is an important step in achieving a soft, smoother, and pimple free skin.
No doubt that there are so many benefits of skin exfoliation. However, if not done properly, it can cause several harmful things too. For Example, acne breakouts and redness etc.
Since exfoliation methods are different for different skin types, that’s why if you choose to exfoliate, make sure you do it according to your skin type.
- Normal Skin
- Sensitive Skin
- Dry Skin
- Oily Skin
- Combination Skin: It is the combination of dry and oily skin.
Table of Contents
Exfoliation of Different Skin Types
As explained above, the exfoliation method you choose must be suitable for your skin type.
1) Exfoliation of Normal Facial Skin
=> Buy a gentle facial scrub and use it once a week before hitting the bed. Follow the same good old advice i.e gentle touch with small circular motions.
Some dermatologist recommends scrubs that uses sugar or jojoba beds for the exfoliating agent Instead of pits or seeds.
=> Use a skincare brush with a milder soap on weekly basis. Make sure you read the directions before using it on your skin.
=> Try adding a glycolic mask to your list. It contains alpha and beta-hydroxy acids which works well in exfoliating your skin. This should also be applied once every week.
Make sure you use a good moisturizer after every time you exfoliate your skin. This will reduce the risk of skin dryness and redness and building of future dead skin cells.
Recommended Post: Top 7 Most Effective DIY Homemade Acne Masks
2) Exfoliation of Sensitive Facial Skin
=> Select your favorite daily cleanser that doesn’t irritate your skin.
If you have a sensitive skin then this is how you can find a suitable cleanser for your skin type, apply a cleaner on a smaller area of your face and see if that burns or produce other irritations or not.
=> Put a soft washcloth under a warm tap of water, squeeze it to remove the excess water and then apply it on your face for at least 1 minute. This will open up the pores and make it easy to exfoliate.
=> Place a small amount of cleanser on the washcloth and rub it against your whole face with smaller and gentle circular motion.
=> Wash your face with water or lukewarm water and pat it dry.
=> Apply a moisturizer.
- This may cause a temporary redness on your skin, if you don’t like that, then follow this method at night. It will give enough time for the redness to go away.
- If your skin is extremely dry, then apply a thin layer of moisturizing oil 5 minutes before the exfoliation.
3) Exfoliation of Oily Facial Skin
=> Use a skincare brush or a facial scrub daily before bed.
=> Use glycolic pads to remove excess oil.
=> The acids in glycolic pads can make your skin sensitive to the sun, apply a moisturizer and wear a sunscreen to combat this issue.
Home Remedies for Skin Exfoliation
Most of the people prefer Home remedies over other available treatment options because of its low cost and easy availability of its ingredients.
Here are a list of some great remedies to exfoliate your skin at home.
Video by SunKissAlba
Remember these Tips before Exfoliating your Skin
- Choose those skin products that you already use because every skin care product is not suitable for every skin type. So, use those products that are gentle on your skin and not causing any kind of irritation.
- Choose suitable exfoliation method for your skin type (is explained earlier in this post).
- Be gentle while applying a scrub or using a chemical exfoliator on your skin. Do small and circular motions for minimum 30 seconds. Use lukewarm water to wash your face.
Never exfoliate your skin if there’s a wound or sunburned effect.
- Always follow up with a moisturizer because there is a good chance of skin dryness after exfoliation.
- Make a proper schedule: It depends on the method of exfoliation and your skin type. Normally, the powerful the exfoliation is, the more time after needs to be done.
Warning: Avoid Over-exfoliation because it can further irritate your skin.
When to Visit a dermatologist?
If you have a severe acne related problem and these tips aren’t helping, then visit a good skin doctor so he can suggest you some medical exploitation methods like chemical peels or microdermabrasion etc.
Any questions? Ask in the comments
Do you find this article helpful? If yes, then don’t forget to share it.
Stay Informed, Stay Healthy and Stay Happy.