Do you have zits on your face? Are you worried about it and want to know how to get rid of a zit overnight and fast? If yes, then keep reading because this is the article for you. Here, you will get to know what is a zit, difference between a pimple and a zit, its causes and treatments.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a zit?
- 2 The difference between Pimples and Zits
- 3 What causes the Zits?
- 4 Getting rid of Pimples Quickly
- 5 What makes the Pimples worse?
What is a zit?
When there is inflammation of the skin of a person, it is mostly known as a zit. There are times when the oil producing glands become overactive, clogged or infected. When it happens, the bacteria come into action and causes the inflammation of the skin. It is then become clogged piece of skin which is usually swollen, red and some of it may be filled with pus.
The difference between Pimples and Zits
We have a lot of synonyms in English. Among those many synonyms, pimples and zits are defining each other. Synonyms refer to words with same meanings. So, when you hear any one among these, you can be sure that it is defining the same thing. Even in the medical manner, there is nothing that can separate these two. Thus, zits, pimples, spots are all same.
What causes the Zits?
You might have seen that there are a lot of people who suffer from this problem. Particularly, the ones who have oily skin have this issue. So, why it is so? Why the people with oily skin are mostly under the influence of this issue?
There are a lot of sebaceous glands in our skin. These leads to the production of sebum and they exist inside almost every pore of our skin. With these glands producing oil and our skin shedding all the time, we have strong chances that the pores of our skin will become clogged. The sticky sebum will hold on to the dead skin which leads to the clogging of pores.
When the pores are clogged, the growth of bacteria is enhanced. Among the many types of bacteria growing beneath your skin, one is the Propionibacterium acnes. It is the sort of bacteria that leads to growth of acne on the skin. These bacteria are present under our skin and is harmless until it gets the right environment for reproduction. When it gets the environment, by our dead skin cells sticking with sebum and clogging the pores, it reproduces pretty quickly. As a result, the bacteria present in your skin starts feeding of the sebum produced by sebaceous glands. This will lead to inflammation of your skin, the zits.
Moreover, some pimples on your skin might be due to the yeast infection. It is caused by a particular species of yeast known as the malassezia. It may be on the forehead or chest of a person. However, it is rarely seen on the sides of face. Moreover, it does not act on the pores that are occupied by the Propionibacterium acnes.
Getting rid of Pimples Quickly
Now, let’s take a peek at what are the different ways by which you can treat your zits. There are a few things that you can do as self-help. Moreover, the over-the-counter treatments and prescription medications are also available.
1) Self Help Pimple Treatments for making Zits go away
The first thing that you can do to help yourself is that you can bring a change in your diet. According to studies, it has been observed that a diet that includes high amount of dairy products and foods that are high at the glycemic index tends to enhance the risk of pimples development.
Secondly, you can wash your face regularly. It means that washing it with care. Some people start washing their face after each hour which is also not recommended. Wash it with warm water and a mild soap for two to three times a day. Be sure that you are gentle and washing the face politely. Do not scrub it. Professionals recommend to utilize the OTC lotion that comes with benzoyl peroxide in it.
- Can I pop a pimple or zit? People with pimples on their skin are seen popping them and making them burst. If you do so, you are not helping yourself. Instead, you are simply pushing infection a bit further and it will cause even more serious blockage. This will worsen the swelling and the redness will increase. Furthermore, it also boosts the chances of scarring.
If you put on makeup regularly, ensure that you take it all off before you go to sleep. When you go out to buy makeup kits, opt for the ones that are nonceomedogenic or the ones that are nonacnegenic. This information would be available on the kits and if not, ask the cosmetics seller to guide you.
Last but not the least, remember that overexposure to sunlight, at times, causes the overproduction of oil from the glands. Use any good product to protect your skin from sunlight.
2) Over-the-counter treatments for Pimples
The following are few ingredients that you may find in most of the OTC products. These are active ingredients and will help in overthrowing the zits.
- Resorcinol: It is an element that helps in breaking down acne. It comes with diverse resins in it. This element can also be found in the products that helps in treatment of dandruff and a few other issues.
- Benzoyl peroxide: It is an ingredient that helps in killing bacteria. It works in slowing down the production of oil by sebaceous oil. Furthermore, it is also acts as a catalyst to increases the shedding of skin to unclog the pores. This helps in decreasing the number of bacteria in the area under influence.
- Salicylic Acid: It helps in breaking down both whiteheads and blackheads. It also helps in decreasing the skin peeling. As a result, the oil glands become more effective and the treatment of swelling and inflammation begins. This is a substance that helps in easy shedding of dead skin and also works for the prevention of pore blocking.
3) The prescription methods to get rid of a Zit
In case that you do not find the OTC medicines beneficial, ask a dermatologist to give you a proper medicine. There are various types of prescription medications that you may get for yourself. These include the following.
- Topical treatments: The topical treatment means that the ones which a person can apply directly on the skin. Most of the doctors will write such things in the prescription. For example, you may be given a tazarotene or an adapalene. Or the doctor may give you one with the formula of tretinoin. All of these are manufactured with the help of vitamin A.
- Antibiotics: The antibiotics are given in various forms. There are oral ones (tablets), syrups etc. Usually, you will receive them in the form of a tablet. For the treatment of pimples, most of the doctors prescribe the tetracyclines. However, if you are a breastfeeding mother or a pregnant one, refrain from taking the ones with this formula. In that case, your doctor will probably give you the erythromycin.
- Isotretinoin: We mentioned the tretinoin above when writing about the topical treatments. This isotretinoin is also linked to that formula. But this one is a lot stronger and is only given when the person is having some serious issue of cysts.
These are just three of various types of prescription medicines that you may get from the doctor that will definitely help to remove your zits. But these are the common ones.
What makes the Pimples worse?
In attempt to get rid of pimples, people sometimes does things that make them even worse. Moreover, there are certain things that you may not be able to control. However, these also contribute to an increase of zits.
- Menstrual cycle: The menstrual cycle is something that can contribute to pimples problem. A week or 10 days before the period arrives, the condition may get worse. It is because of the hormonal variations that take place in your body.
- Stress and anxiety: The stress and anxiety disturb the regular working of the body. This leads to the hormonal imbalance. Like in the above point, hormonal imbalance here also serves as the main cause of increase in the zits outbreak.
- Certain makeups: The makeups that comes with a good amount of oil in them can make conditions even more tougher if you are suffering from pimples problem.
- Popping the pimples: In case that you pop the pimples in order to get rid of them, you are just increasing it. This will push the infection further leading to more acne on your skin.
So, this is a comprehensive guide regarding how to get rid of a zit overnight fast. There are certain home remedies and treatments also available to you. In case that you are not looking to try out the OTC or prescription medications, try the home remedies as you may be able to treat acne from it. However, seeing a dermatologist is probably the best option for you as you will get the proper examination of what you type of acne you have on your skin and what is the best way of treating it.
Share your experience with us in the comments!
Also, please don’t forget to share this valuable info with your friends
Because Sharing is Caring!