Some people have naturally dry skin while others may have it due to many reasons (explained below).
Dry skin simply means that it isn’t getting enough moisture, it can be caused by harsh or dry air, using harsh skin products, or not staying hydrated enough.
However, whatever your case is, preventing and getting rid of dry skin isn’t that hard. You may even treat your dry skin in a day or two, but that totally depends on how you implement the below tips and how serious your dryness is.
Dry Skin is known as Xerosis in medical terminology.
Let’s dig deeper into further details…
Make sure you take a look at our Table of Content, we have covered almost everything in this article; from knowing the causes to prevention and treatment of dry skin.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Causes Dry Skin?
- 2 How to Prevent Getting Dry Skin
- 3 Get Rid of Dry Skin with Natural Remedies
- 4 Bottom Line
What Causes Dry Skin?
The science behind dry skin is when lipids (fatty acids) decreases in your skin, the moisture deficiency occurs, when moisture deficiency occurs, you (may) get dryness on your skin.
The main function of Lipids is locking down the moisture to keep your skin smooth.
Numerous things that can contribute to skin dryness are:
- Dry Air during winter or when the weather changes or in the arid/semi-arid
- Heaters may also cause dry skin as it reduces humidity in the air.
- Carbonated pool water.
- Soaps and Detergents that contain strong chemicals.
- Long and Hot Showers or frequently exposure of your skin to water.
- Excessive baths or excessive use of cleansers.
How to Prevent Getting Dry Skin
If you often get dry skin or just do not want your skin to become dry, then these prevention tips are for you.
As they say,
Prevention is better than Cure
Another Recommendation: [Quiz# 2] How much Do you know about your Acne and Skincare?
1) Prefer Warm Over Hot Water
As hot water is more powerful in cleaning as compared to normal water. The same way hot water can wash away the protective fatty acids (lipids) from your skin, so avoid using hot water for your skin to prevent dryness.
Similarly, excessive bathing and washing your face too much can also cause dryness on your skin.
Experts recommend taking no more than one shower or bath (of 10 minutes or less) and two times face-washing in one day.
2) Moisturize your Skin Regularly
Some people hate to moisturize their skin frequently, I hate it too. But hey, we need to use moisturizers to get a soft and supple skin.
Moisturizers stop water from escaping off your skin.
Moisturizer (Ointment, Cream, or Lotion) should be applied at least 2-3 times a day.
If applied in the morning, it will keep your skin hydrated throughout the day.
If applied at night, it will help your skin to heal itself.
Usage Advice: When you wash your skin, pat it dry until it becomes slightly moist. This is the time you need to apply a moisturizer of your choice to stop the remaining water on your skin.
Wait until it dries, then you can apply another layer of cream or lotion if you still feel dryness.
If your hand’s skin is dry, then carry a good hand cream with you, and make a habit of applying it after every hand wash.
3) Add Humidity to your Room air
If the air in your house is dry, then your skin may become dry when you are asleep, and you may observe flakiness and roughness in the next morning.
To protect your skin against this effect, you may want to use a humidifier in your room which you can Turn ON before going to bed.
What If I can’t afford or don’t want to buy a humidifier?
Don’t worry, we have some cheap alternatives for you:
- Put water in a bowl or pot and place it next to the radiator in your room, this a super easy DIY alternative to a humidifier.
- Some plants like Ficus Alii, Bamboo Fern, and Boston Palm works as natural humidifiers because they raise water vapors in the air (This process is called Transpiration).
Put any one of these and your skin will thank you.
Transpiration is the process by which water (moisture) is transferred from roots to the leaves of plants and then into the air (atmosphere).
4) Cover Up your skin to prevent dry Skin
In Winter: Wear gloves, hat, and a scarf when you go out because dry winds in winter can be a killer to your skin.
Also, apply a good lip balm of your choice on your lips to eliminate the chances of its drying out.
Additionally, make a habit of wearing rubber gloves when you have to immerse your hands in water or deal with strong cleansers. This will help protect your hands skin from drying up.
In Summer: Wear a cap or/and sunscreen to protect your face from UV radiations (sun rays) because sun rays can damage your skin and make it dry.
Also, wear loose and light clothing to protect your inner skin from burning.
5) Avoid Allergens
A sudden occurrence of dry skin might be a reason of your skin allergy to various things that irritate your skin. For example; the clothes you are wearing (especially wool clothing), setting near to an open fire flame, or enjoying in chlorinated (pool) water.
All these and various other things can make your skin dry, try finding the cause of your skin dryness and then you will be able to easily deal with it.
OK here’s the million-dollar question, how to get rid of dry skin?
Get Rid of Dry Skin with Natural Remedies
Here are our top picks of some awesome remedies to cure your dry skin as fast as overnight.
1) Coconut Oil for Dry Skin
Coconut Oil will fill up the spaces between skin cells and make it smoother. Thanks to its emollient-rich properties.
Additionally, coconut oil has some good fatty acids which will make your skin moisturized for good.
The best thing about coconut oil is that you can even apply it on sensitive skin and the most sensitive parts of the body i.e around the mouth, and underneath your eyes.
Another good thing about coconut oil is that you don’t need to add anything to it, they are effective on its own.
Usage Advice: Apply coconut oil on your affected areas or on your whole body before going to bed. If you feel uncomfortable about this whole night thing. Then you need to use it after bathing, this will lock in the moisture (in the last case, make sure you apply it when your skin is slightly damp).
You may also like: Why you Should Choose Coconut Oil for Scars – 5 Ways to Use it
2) Use Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera Gel is a good moisturizing agent that will soothe your skin and help combat the flakiness.
How to Use it:
- Acquire a fresh Aloe leaf and extract the juice out of it, Aloe Vera plants are easily available at nurseries and home improvement stores.
- Apply the extracted gel on your dry skin areas.
- Wait for about 15 minutes and then wash it off with warm or lukewarm water, You can leave it overnight if you want to.
- Do this 2x times daily.
3) Try Oatmeal to Relieve Skin Dryness
Another hot remedy for dry skin treatment is Oatmeal. Besides its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, oatmeal creates a protective layer over your skin which helps prevent water loss and thus keep it moisturized.
How to Use it:
– Oatmeal Face Scrub: Warm up some milk and pour it into the bowl that contains oatmeal, mix them thoroughly then add honey after few minutes and mix again.
Apply the paste on your face and let it stay for about 10 minutes.
Remove the face pack with your wetted fingertips and then rinse your face with cold water. This can be done once or twice a week.
– Oatmeal Bath: Pour a cup of plain oatmeal and few drops of lavender oil in your bathtub filled with warm water, soak in for at least 15 minutes.
Enjoy this gentle bath once a week.
Avocado is full of fatty acids, natural oils, and antioxidants. This is the thing you need for a super nourished skin.
Avocado pulp is also helpful in repairing your skin from the inside, thanks to its Vitamin A and E content.
Method of Use:
- Mash a whole or one half of a fresh avocado until it becomes pasty. You can add ¼ cup of honey if you want to, mix well.
- Apply the paste on your dried skin.
- Wait for about 15 minutes and then wash it off.
- Do this once or twice a week for better results.
5) Use Petroleum Jelly
It’s my favorite remedy for dry skin. I have been using it since my childhood whenever the dryness comes in (often occurs in the winter).
It has all the properties you need to heal your dry skin; Emollient, moisturizing, and hydrating etc.
It actually develops a barrier to discourage the evaporation of moisture from your skin.
The best thing about Petroleum Jelly is that it is super cheap and easily available almost everywhere in the world.
How to Use:
- Make your skin slightly damp for better results (OPTIONAL).
- Apply a thin layer of Petroleum Jelly on the affected parts of your skin.
- Leave it overnight and then wash it off in the morning.
When applied on hands or feet, make sure you wear cotton gloves and socks to promote absorption and prevent your sheets from getting dirty.
If home remedies aren’t helping your skin condition, then you should visit a dermatologist at earliest possible time.
Alright, this was it from our side for how to get rid of dry skin as fast as possible. We have covered almost everything in this post. But if you think we have missed something or some easy treatment method that works best for you, tell us in the comments!
Any questions regarding this post? Ask in the comments below, and keep visiting Health Pursue.
Was this article helpful? If so, please don’t forget to share it with those who deserve a healthy skin and happy life.