Do you want to get rid of oily skin? If yes, then make sure you read this post till the end because we have compiled some useful information that will help you in curing oily skin as well as how to prevent extra oil on the skin and much more.
Oily Skin is common, particularly in teens. You might notice large pores on nose, shiny skin, and pimples if you have an oily skin. More Number of oily skins are found in the areas where environment is hot and humid. There are tons of ways that can treat your oily skin, but we will be focusing on Natural Home Remedies specifically.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why does skin produce oil?
- 2 What are the Possible Causes of Oily Skin?
- 3 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Oily Skin Naturally
- 4 Some Tips and Warnings to Reduce or Prevent Oily Skin
- 5 Bottom Line
Why does skin produce oil?
You might be thinking that what oils are we talking about and why oils are produced etc. etc. Well, there are several sebaceous glands situated deep inside our skin that continuously generate oil (sebum) and transfer it outside the skin through hair follicles for your skin’s good and to make your skin glow.
Sometimes these glands get disturbed due to various reasons and start producing more than the required amount of oil, which then can’t be managed by your hair follicles and become clogged and thus can cause blackheads, whiteheads, zits, and other types of pimples too.
It’s not all bad about oily skin
Oily Skin tends to develop few wrinkles as compared to dry skins, which is a significant advantage.
What are the Possible Causes of Oily Skin?
Here are few of the leading causes of oily skins:
Hormonal changes in a female body happen at various stage of her life that can make the glands overactive. For example, hormonal changes can occur during adolescence, post and pre menopause, and during pregnancy.
Use of Various Skin Products
As a lot of skin products have oil in them that can block your pores instantly, because of this, Professionals recommend the use of non-comedogenic skin products that contains water or minerals instead of oil.
Various medications like hormone replacement ones and hormonal birth control etc. can mess up with your hormones and make your glands overactive. Also, some medicines cause dehydration on your skin, which then leads to excess oil production by the glands to compensate the loss of natural moisture.
This Runs in Family
If one or both of your parents had oily skins, then you may have it too. And you may have larger glands that produce more and more extra oil.
Though there is no science study to backup this cause, but greater number of skin experts and dermatologists believe that there is a connection between stress and oily skin/acne.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Oily Skin Naturally
Why waste money on purchasing expensive treatment items to treat your oily skin if you can use home remedies to cure it…And the good thing is that most of the things to be used is already available in your kitchen.
1. Aloe Vera for Oily Skin
Aloe Vera plant has many outstanding properties that can be used on cuts, wounds, and burns to treat them. It is also great for skin infections, and acne as well as it works as a natural absorbent too.
- Cut an Aloe Vera leaf and obtain the gel from it.
- Apply it on your face evenly with your fingertips.
- Wash the gel off your face after it dries.
- Should be repeated two to three times a day.
Note: If you can’t acquire a fresh Aloe Vera leaf, then use its face washes, lotions, ointments, etc.
2. Try Yogurt
Follow the Steps:
- Apply and spread evenly about one tablespoon of plain Yogurt on your face.
- Wash it off with cold water after 15 minutes.
- Do this daily.
3. Try Cucumber on your Oily Face
Have you ever noticed the use of cucumber during spa and facial treatments? They use it because of its excellent soothing properties. It contains minerals and vitamins that can remove the redness, swelling, and excess oil.
Steps to Follow:
- Make slices of a fresh cucumber and rub it on your face for few minutes and leave it overnight.
- Rinse it off with warm water in the morning and repeat the same process once a day.
4. Egg White on Oily Skin
Egg White is high in vitamin A, that can dry out the skin blemishes and take care of the extra oil on the skin.
- Separate the yolk from the white and stir it well—Apply it on all over your face—Let it dry and then wash it off with warm water—This should be done two times a day.
- Put the egg’s white and lemon juice in a container and stir well to make a fine mixture—Apply it on your face with your fingertips and leave it for about 15 minutes—Wash it off with warm water. This will tighten your skin and will remove the excess oil from it.
5. Use Milk to get rid of the Oily Skin
Milk is an awesome oil-free remedy that can make your oily skin soft and supple. It contains alpha hydroxyl acids which will exfoliate your skin as well as it helps in maintaining the pH value of your skin.
Follow the Steps:
- Take three drops of lavender or sandalwood oil and mix it with about two tablespoons of milk.
- Apply it on your face evenly with the help of a cotton ball.
- Massage your skin gently for few minutes and then go to bed. This will improve blood circulation in/through your skin.
- Wash your face with cold water in the morning and repeat this process daily.
6. Baking Soda to get rid of the Oily Skin
Baking Soda is a well-known product that can remove the excess oil from the skin and make it dry.
Direction: Mix baking soda with water to create the required amount of paste—Apply it on your face—Wash off after 10 to 15 minutes with cold water—Do this once a day.
Precaution: Baking soda can seriously dry up some skins, which means more problems—So, I recommend you to increase the amount of water in it or even skip this method completely if you think it can dry up your skin.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar to cure Oily Skin
Though I put it in the last of home remedies for oily skin, but that doesn’t mean that it is less effective—In fact, Cider Vinegar or ACV is considered to be the most effective remedy because it has high anti-bacterial and antiviral properties that kill the bacteria and clear up the pores. It also contains alpha hydroxyl acids that make it a natural moisturizer.
Steps to Follow:
- Mix about one part of ACV in 3 parts of distilled water and create your required amount of mixture. Apply this toner on your face and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash it off with cool water and repeat the process several times a week to see some good results.
- Take a glass of water and mix one teaspoon of ACV in it— Drink every night before hitting the bed—This will help in controlling your hormones which is directly proportional to less oil.
Some Tips and Warnings to Reduce or Prevent Oily Skin
- As your skin need the normal amount of oil, the oil is there to protect your skin. Don’t remove all of the oil from your skin otherwise, it can do further damage to your skin and even can show signs of premature aging.
- Eat healthy foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Generally, brighter vegetables and fruits like beans, cranberries, blueberries, apples, whole grains, peppers, and spinach are high in antioxidants—–Eat Walnut, flaxseed, tuna, salmon, fish or use fish oil if you don’t want to eat fish for omega-3 fatty acids.
- Eat fresh and natural foods and vegetables as much as possible and avoid eating fast foods and other unhealthy foods like butter and beef etc.
- Getting exercise is proven to be effective in several health issues including oily skin and reducing the oil on your skin. Play a physical game or ride a bike or go to the gym or even a 30 minutes’ walk can be beneficial too.
- And don’t forget to shower after every vigorous activity that makes you sweat more. Also, remove your makeup or take a shower before hitting the bed because your skin repairs itself and generate new cells fast when you sleep—So help your skin!
- If you have oily skin, then start using non-comedogenic skin products which are created to be good at oily skins. Since oil is the primary cause of acne, then why don’t use products that contain water or minerals instead of oil?
- Make sure that you are getting a full night sleep every night.
- Relieve your stress by any method of meditation, exercise, good sleep, visiting your favorite places, or talking to your loved ones to stay on the safe side from acne and oily skin.
- Last but not the least is to drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated throughout the day and to maintain a good water to oil ratio on your skin. Dehydration trigger changes in your sebaceous glands which cause oil to build up on your skin.
Remember that the key to success is in the patience, be patient! And try one remedy at a time to cure your oily skin naturally. But if one remedy doesn’t give results after a regular use for few day, then leave that remedy and go for another one.
Keep in mind that if one remedy work for your friend, it’s not necessary that it will treat your oily skin too—Hit and Trial to find your best working remedy for your oily skin.
Have you learned something from this article on how to get rid of oily skin? If so, then please share it with your friends, family, and others to spread the knowledge.